Wednesday, November 12, 2008

bean lucky

Living in a little cottage perfectly fit for the three of us. Affordable yet cozy :)
Greeted every morning with snuggles and giggles from two adorable little ones.
Loose fitting size 00 clothes to match very good hair days.
A late evening phone call from an amazingly handsome surgeon (it's nothing really, well, not yet...but still...)
Life has not been what I expected. I was surrounded by lucky beans...

I chose our last home with Dave for its small size, brick driveway, wood kitchen floors, and the lush backyard forest inhabited by squirrels, raccoons, and snakes. Later, to my surprise, it revealed a little secret -- an abundant supply of lucky beans.

I first saw these red and black beans when my sister gave me bean bracelets she brought home from Guatemala (or was it Peru? or Costa Rica?) about four years ago. I knew they were beans but had no idea they were lucky ;) I also had no idea they can be found here in Florida.

The children were instantly drawn by the brightly colored beans. They often gathered some from the forest and used them for play. They were scattered all over our home, in my car and occassionally one would find its way into our shoes.

Montauk Lighthouse, 1999 (little Snow in my tummy)
When Dave decided to break up the family back in June, I cursed the lucky beans. I did not bring a single one with me to Pennsylvania and when he took us back home in July, I cleared the house of these beans. I must've left a few in my car or the children must've snuck them into the house because that reconciliation lasted less than two months and now that we are finally separated, I have never felt luckier, happier, freer, safer. I am living once again.

He is in Norway right now visiting his girlfriend (the beans brought him some luck too). Before he left, he asked if I would be kind enough to put away his trashbins. My considerate nature agrees to everything, so I said yes. As I put away the bins, I noticed how the plants on the front yard have grown so I walked around the back to take a quick look at the other plants. Then I sat on one of the stone stools I put together for the children, mind empty, I stared into the forest.

Soon enough, the little specks of red on the ground caught my eye and I broke out in tears. Tears of relief and of joy, and of how lucky I am to love and be loved by so many people and to have the strength to re-invent myself and rebuild my life through a very painful and difficult experience. I slowly made my way into the forest, picking up one little bean at a time. I was drawn not by their bright colors but by the fantasy aspect of fate and fortune, of being alone in a forest collecting magical beans, and of entering my forties with a childlike soul.

I emerged out of the woods an hour later with dirt under my fingernails, twig-scratched arms, bug-bitten legs, and a pocketful of beans. :)

There's a lot of luck to go around. If you would like some just email me. But beware! Travel Africa says the beans contain poison that can paralyze or cause respiratory failure and this wikipedia link talks about death by a finger-prick! I did not know this until today. Thank goodness the children never attempted to crack or bite one open!
My search for lucky beans also led me to this wonderful blog. I have yet to post some Halloween pics, I"ll try to get that done before Thanksgiving. ^,^

8 comments:

JamesL said...

Lovely writing. Lovely life story.

Love, your friend, James

Kate said...

I loved reading this. It makes me happy that you're finding your feet again.

WaterLearner said...

Being able to write down the painful process is a sign of recovery. I wish you well.

The World According To Me said...

What a great post. I like the sound of those lucky beans.
I'm so happy to to hear you've found your inner strength and life is looking good again.

Unknown said...

"I was drawn not by their bright colors but by the fantasy aspect of fate and fortune, of being alone in a forest collecting magical beans, and of entering my forties with a childlike soul."

What a beautiful and insightful post! But, for the record, it'll be a few years before we enter our forties. LOL.

I've been waiting for this essay, S. I've been watching your blog, hoping to see something like this soon. I knew that the story wasn't over, and that the best part was coming next. This is when the princess kicks the fake-prince in the balls, dusts off her pretty dress, and gets back on her noble steed. (OK, maybe not that first part, unless you're me.) It's only a tragedy if the story ends before the "good guys" recover from the conflict. And you have. In fact, you've survived worse than this. I watched you do it, firsthand.

As someone who has known you since we were both in pre-school, let me tell you this: I am proud of the woman you have become and am honored to call you my friend. ♥

Anonymous said...

I like this and you've been through a rough year. Hopefully this is a sign that you're on road to 110% recovery! (Good luck with the surgeon... )

Blur Ting said...

Oh Shello, I am so happy to read this post, it sent good vibes and almost brought me to tears. You're loved by many people and friends in this blogger world. You will find joy in every step of your way. I already see that happening. You're a strong girl and your kids are so lucky to have you as a wonderful mum and source of joy and comfort. You'll enjoy life together in your little cosy home. I hope the handsome surgeon will become a good part of your life too :-)

Unknown said...

Shellz, I love this post. Have the strength to carry on with that happiness and freedom...you earned it after all these months of pain, fear and uncertainty. Take that happiness and run with it. Whatever the future holds for you, I know God is watching over you. I'm sure you know that I'm one of those peeps who loves you and wishes you all the best. Take care, gelpren!