Monday, October 15, 2007

a hiking date

David loves to hike. He hikes alone, with friends and with the whole family, but somehow we never hiked just the two of us, until last weekend. He prepared our packs the night before, sent the children off to tour Thomas Edison's laboratory the next morning and after a heavy breakfast of bagels and cream cheese we started our journey.

One mile into our hike we were greeted by this handsome vulture perched on a branch. This got me all pepped up and thinking of all the natural wonders awaiting us through nice wooded trails; walking hand in hand, talking and laughing together maybe even rolling around on shady prairie meadows with flowers blooming all around.

Not surprisingly, Dave's idea of a romantic time was clearly different from mine. I found myself trailing along overgrown trails following a distant red backpack and sweating through vast expanse of open and sunny prairie. Definitely not a trail for cuddling and daydreaming and the longest six miles I ever walked.


It was still a lot of a fun and a learning experience for me. I learned not to dangle my legs over any body of water unless I want to be alligator bait (thankfully I wasn't greeted by any alligators), that cloth diapers can absorb a lot of sweat and can also dry instantly, I also learned not to drop my pack without first securing my water spout thingy, and that trees can have very interesting crotches.

6 comments:

JamesL said...

And now you truly know why I have so many pictures of Dave's back from 200 yards away! He's compulsive even when he's relaxing! :-)

Anonymous said...

cool but hey..it was FUN...wasn't it?

The World According To Me said...

I love the pic of the Vulture.
Glad you didn't meet any Alligators!
Sounds like it was an experience and a half.

Kate said...

Your photos are so great! I'm glad you guys got out. I have read a few posts in which David laments the hiking in Florida. And what is it with some guys? My husband always goes way out ahead, too. I send him evil telepathic messages. "If I get EATEN by something back here, how long will it take you to notice, Spawn of Satan?" "Fine! Raise the children alone."

Unknown said...

LOL Kate that was funny :D
Dave says he was clearing the path for me. But he does the same thing when we go to Disneyworld and there is no way he can clear the path there.

Blur Ting said...

Oh, so nice that you both have a little time together in the wild. Sorry to burst your bubble, but I don't think men have this romantic notion of cuddling and daydreaming on a hike. They prefer stomping in mud puddles!

I learned something new today too... never knew cloth diapers can come in so useful on a hike :-)