Wednesday, March 12, 2008

a whole lot of greens


The other day we picked up our first share of produce from a local food co-op: pounds and pounds of leaves, most of it fresh from the farm. Although I cannot tell my spinach from my chard or my arugula from my dandelion I think I have fallen deeply in love with freshly picked vegetables (and fruits).

We did not subscribe to this co-op, but with the harvest season approaching, I'll definitely be trying out other types of farm/food subscriptions in the coming weeks. Ideally, the best thing is to join our local CSA, but they are asking for season subscriptions and I am not sure I am ready for that commitment. $700...I mean, c'mon.

I love the idea of picking up a weekly mystery bundle of leafy things, washing them, identifying them, eating them. The ones that don't make it to the table raw are either blanched, steamed or sauted. Anything too bitter or peppery I simply toss in a hot pan with a splash of grapeseed oil, some garlic and pepper and it gets eaten in seconds. The children now have a love affair with veggies too. Anything to make them eat their greens right? I suppose $700 with the risk of a poor harvest season and some farm work is worth it then.

8 comments:

Blur Ting said...

Oh wow, that sounds like a lot of money for vegetables. Maybe you can try growing them at home instead? Sow seeds (but don'tlook at what they are) and you will have mysterious crop too. You can certainly grow alot with that kind of money!

Kate said...

Can you get the kids to eat some of the less poplur ones like arugula, cress, kale, etc..? My kids will eat spinch, but nothing any more controversial than that.

The World According To Me said...

That does seem a lot of money to me!
Good that your children will eat greens though, I'm sure they'll grow up big and strong.

I like your new Seagrape picture.

Anonymous said...

wow good that you can get your kids to eat veggies....our coffee bean is pretty good too... she "pretends" not to like some things though!

Rebecca said...

If your $700 covers veggies, fruit and herbs, it isn't too bad. It is just under that here to subscribe to all three from the Hellgate CSA. Besides, your harvest will last longer than our, won't it? Ours is from June/July through November.

And if all it takes is grapeseed oil, garlic and pepper to get them to eat swiss chard and other more bitter greens, that is awesome!

Unknown said...

good idea blur. i don't have room/land for a vegetable garden but i'll try to plant some in big pots!

Unknown said...

hi kate.
there hasn't been a vegetable that maku tried and didn't like, but i can't get him to eat fruits, just bananas - i hide it in his oatmeal.
snow on the other hand loves fruits but only eats maybe 4-5 kinds of vegetables.
can't win.

Unknown said...

hi rebecca.
our harvest season is around the same time as yours. so it comes to just under $30 per week and i found out today that the farm is open to subscribers on saturdays and all the produce you pick is free. not a bad deal and it's helping out our local farmers as well.

yup, grapeseed oil plus A LOT of garlic works for us. the children love olive oil but not if used to saute veggies.